1) We rang in the New Year in style with a brand new website that launched In January. Sleeker, faster, more visually pleasing and with a whole host of new features and pages, we’ve been very happy with our new home on the world wide web! We hope that our customers have found it more informative, user friendly and easier to navigate.
2) Awards, awards, awards! 2018 has been a great year of recognition for team YPS in a range of areas, from our people to our work. Our brilliant Operations Director Rachel Johnson fought off rafts of hopefuls to become a runner up in the Barclays Women in Business ‘Woman of the Year’ category. Our apprentice Jake Martin was shortlisted for the regional ‘Rising Star’ category in the National Apprentice of the Year awards. At the annual PPMA awards, we scooped the Highly Commended accolade for ‘Outstanding Customer Service’. We were crowned Eaton Smith’s Business of the Month award in May and most excitingly, bagged three National Family Business Awards in July at a ceremony in Wembley for ‘Rising Star’ North East and National, and North East ‘Lifetime Achievement’ categories. Let’s hope 2019 brings more of the same!
3) YPS in the headlines! In July, we were featured in The Times annual supplement ‘The future of packaging’. The publication focussed on current and upcoming packaging concerns including plastic waste, recycling, sustainability, innovation and design. With our new Bio-Based shrink film we were an obvious contributor to the discussion and were featured on page 20. You can read the report for yourself here.
4) In March we unveiled a new showroom at our head office in Dewsbury, in order to meet increasing demand for shrink wrapping demonstrations and trials. The new showroom is almost quadruple the size of our previous facilities which means that our entire range of equipment is now on display under one roof. Since the opening we have welcomed hundreds of prospective and existing customers through the showroom doors and are looking forward to welcoming many more. Call today to book a visit to our showroom!
5) This year in total we have installed over 127 purchased or hired machines into 56 different customer sites! That’s a whole load of happy and satisfied customers! Feedback from these projects have included:
‘Not only have you helped to maintain our operation, but you have improved it as we have noted drastic increases in our running speeds and reliability. We are delighted to let you know that because of this we have been able to take on new contracts for new customers.’ Premier Labellers
‘The machinery has meant that we are able to satisfy the increased consumer demand we have experienced due to brand growth and increase our productivity.’ MH Foods
‘The machinery is performing as well as expected and our throughput has increased considerably.’ EHL
‘The introduction of the machinery has been significant for us as it has allowed us to cater to many more customers’ requirements and therefore we have already won multiple new contracts as a direct result.’ LMA
We think these comments are definitely a sign of a great year!
6) A major highlight of our year, I think you will agree, was the day that we crafted our very own YPS beer! In April our team headed to Ossett Brewery for the fantastic opportunity to have a guided tour of the renowned ‘Rat Brewery’ and create an original pale hoppy ale there. In keeping with the rodent theme, and paying tribute to our roots, Team YPS were thrilled to announce the name of our creation as ‘Shrink Rat’! Call off at the ‘Rat and Ratchett’ pub in Huddersfield this festive season to sample a pint!
7) In September we jumped on board with Recycle Week, a national initiative to raise awareness of the need for widespread recycling in the UK. This campaign has special significance to us at YPS because as suppliers of plastic shrink film packaging we are very keen to promote responsible use and reuse of our products. We’ve been spreading the news far and wide that our entire range of shrink films are 100% recyclable to LDPE 04. We’re also pleased to report that our shrink film is not a single use plastic because it can be converted to waste plastic sacks or back into shrink film. National Recycle Week 2018 helped us to spread these messages even further.
8) A year of giving back! At YPS we love to support worthy causes and have been known to raise funds in a variety of ways (a party and a triathlon to name a few). We have worked closely with a local West Yorkshire charity this year, Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice, who care for children with life shortening conditions and their families. Our ‘Shrink Rat’ beer experience was won at an auction the charity held, we ran an office world cup sweepstake and Christmas hamper raffle for them and enjoyed a night of laughter and frivolity at their inaugural comedy night in November. We look forward to contributing wherever possible to this fantastic cause in future!
9) Top marks for YPS! Another celebratory moment worth revisiting this year was the seal of approval we received from the BRC (British Retail Consortiums) in July in the form of an AA accreditation for Storage and Distribution. This is the highest grade that can be awarded and we are pleased to say that we’ve consistently achieved this standard for more than two decades! Our BRC approval means that you can be confident in the quality assurance, safety and traceability of our products and services.
10) Exhibitions – This year we exhibited at both the Easyfairs show at the end of February and the PPMA show in September. Across the two shows we displayed nine working machine exhibits from our range of side sealers, automatic L sealers, inline sleeve sealers and shrink tunnels. We also created dedicated ‘film stations’ for the first time, displaying our unique B-NAT bio-based shrink film and tackling the many questions visitors had about shrink wrappings' environmental credentials. In excess of 80 exciting enquiries were received at these trade shows, culminating in several machine sales. We will next be exhibiting at the Easyfairs show on 27th and 28th February, stand E6.
11) This year we stretched our portfolio by adding stretch wrapping machinery and stretch film to our product range. As the natural addition to the end of any shrink wrapping line, stretch wrapping solutions were a logical offering for Yorkshire Packaging. We are pleased to confirm that we can now offer both semi and fully automatic stretch wrapping machines and a huge range of stretch wrap specifications for your pallets.
12) Last but certainly not least, we are leaving 2018 on a high following the news that a major user of shrink film in the UK has successfully trialled our B-NAT bio-based shrink film on their products and have placed huge orders for continuous supply into 2019. Many other blue-chip customers are in extended trial stages and are looking to follow suit shortly. The news that our green bio-based film is on the uptake is very pleasing because it is 100% recyclable, is derived from more than 46% renewable sugarcane ethanol, is not cultivated on arable land and its manufacture reduces CO2 from the air compared to traditional films. This is all offered without sacrificing any of the properties you expect from your film. If you’d like to trial our B-NAT film, call our friendly team today on 01924 441355.
We wish all of our customers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - See you in 2019!